Microsoft Project Professional provides abilities to import 3 different types of data from external files – Tasks, Resources, and Assignments. The basic principle of how to deliver the information needed is based on a tool called Import Wizard. In this article, we’ll import resources, stored in a local Excel or txt file, to the Enterprise resource pool.
Before importing, ensure that the Excel datasheet name doesn’t contain spaces or special characters.
As an example, consider a simple list of resources, which includes three columns – Resource Name, Max Units, and Standard Rate. Let’s import the resouirces to the Enterprise resource pool.
1. In Project Online go to the Resource Center, select at least one resource and click Open.
2. In the pop-up window click Yes. MS Project Desktop will now open and Resource Sheet view will show up.
3. Navigate to the File tab, click Open and find the file you need. Once the file is open, the Import Wizard dialog box will appear. Select Next.
4. Select a Map. If you are importing data for the first time, use the New map option. Click Next.
5. Select Import Mode. Since we are going to add new resources, select Append the data to the active project. In case your workbook contains the updated resource information and you want to update some fields for the existing resources you’ve selected in the first step, select Merge the data into the active project.
6. Map Options. Tick the checkboxes Resources and Import includes headers if the file does have column names for resource fields columns.
7. Fields Mapping. Specify the source worksheet name (if you’re importing from Excel file) and then map the fields from your file with the Microsoft Project fields. Click Next to save the importing map or Finish to launch import.
8. So, now in the Resource Sheet view, we have all our resources in place. Note that some fields are filled out by default values. You can make some changes here if necessary.
9. Close the file. Click Yes to finish the process of import and save the changes to the Enterprise resource pool.
Team of Managed Services Department
Trusted IT Group